Financial Assistance for Single Mothers in Manitoba

The governments of Canada and Manitoba provide many programs and services to support your efforts to take care of your family, whether your children are newly born, in preschool or daycare, elementary or high school and beyond. Browse through the list below and see how your government can help.

Federal program titles are preceded by (CAN), while provincial program titles are preceded by (MB).

This listing focuses on family-related services. For a full listing of benefits, programs and services, see the websites of Benefits Canada or Service Canada.


(MB) Adoption – Birth Parent Counselling

Toll-free: 1-866-626-4862 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-626-4862 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Manitoba Family Services and Consumer Affairs offers the opportunity to learn about all available options to parents facing the dilemma of a birth into unstable or difficult circumstances. Placing your child for adoption may be one of those options, depending upon what your feelings are and what you want for your child. If so, there are rights you preserve and services you can access post-adoption, and you should be aware of how to navigate the adoption process. Obtaining birth parent counselling will ensure you are entering into an informed decision.


Parents considering giving their child up for adoption.

How To Apply

To get more information about the adoption process, contact a licensed adoption agency or the adoption department of a Child and Family Services office near you.

(MB) Adoption Financial Assistance

Permanent wards are children who are eligible for adoption, whether because their birth parents consented, or because the children were removed from their home by the courts.

Some of these wards have disabilities and special needs, or are from aboriginal, First Nations or Métis backgrounds. These children are considered to need special care, whether in the form of assistive devices, medical care, support services, or programs and services that allow them to preserve their heritage and culture. Another category of “special need” is multiple children from the same family requiring adoption together.

Financial assistance is available to families who adopt these “special needs” children, and can take three forms:

  • One-time costs, such as home renovations to accommodate physical disabilities
  • Costs of special services that the child requires
  • Ongoing maintenance payments to help with the daily care of a special needs child. This type of assistance is dependent on family size and income.

Some families may be eligible for all three types of assistance.


Because awards will depend on the particular needs of the child or children involved, there is no way in advance of an adoption to speculate on what might make you eligible. Obviously, children with special needs are more difficult to place, and the financial assistance is intended as an incentive, but should by no means be your motivation for adopting.

How To Apply

If you are considering adoption, contact the adoption department of a Child and Family Services office near you.

(MB) Employment And Income Assistance

Toll-Free: 1-800-855-0511 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-855-0511 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program provides financial assistance to those who require help to meet basic personal and family needs. It aims to assist participants to find and sustain employment, and increase self sufficiency.

Consideration is given to the many individual factors that count as “basic needs”, such as assistance with food, shelter, clothing, utilities, transportation and medical costs. Disabled persons may qualify for a supplemental amount to cover the increased costs of their disability.

One facet of the program is enhancing employment and employability, through skills training, assistance finding work, wage subsidies, and grants to see you through until your first paycheque arrives.


The application includes a needs test that compares household resources against benchmark figures.

How To Apply

Visit a local intake office, whether you live in Winnipeg or in a rural area.

(MB) Children’s Hearing Aid Program

Toll-Free: 1-800-392-1207 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-392-1207 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This is a reimbursement program through Manitoba Health for the costs of hearing aids for young people. The program pays:

  • 80% of a fixed amount for an analog device, up to $500 per ear
  • 80% of a fixed amount for a digital or analog programmable device, up to a maximum of $1800
  • 80% of a fixed amount for additional services, such as dispensing fees, ear molds, and ear impressions.

Under this program, one device is allowed per ear every four years, unless there is a change in the patient’s condition

There is a $75 deductible on all claims, and non-covered items include batteries, repairs to the devices, lost devices, etc.


Manitoba residents under age 18 are eligible for this program if they:

  • have a prescribed need for a hearing aid AND
  • do not have the costs paid through other provincial or federal programs (such as Employment Assistance).

How To Apply

Your audiologist should submit a claim to Manitoba Health. Refer them to the website above if they are not aware of the program.

Pre- and Post-Natal, Child Rearing

(CAN) Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)

Toll-Free: 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax‑free, monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. The amount of this benefit is calculated using the information you provide on your income tax returns. The benefit comprises two parts:

  1. The National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS), the federal government’s contribution to the National Child Benefit.
  2. The CCTB may also include the Child Disability Benefit (CDB), a monthly benefit for qualified families caring for children with severe and prolonged mental or physical impairments.


  • Child must be under age 18
  • Child must live with you and you are the child’s caregiver (there are provisions for shared and temporary custodianship)
  • You must be a resident of Canada
  • You (or your partner) must be a Canadian citizen or a recognized legal resident with a period of established residency (more information at the program website).

How To Apply:

You should apply for the CCTB as soon as possible after any of these events:

  • Your child is born
  • A child begins to live with you
  • You become a resident of Canada

Don’t assume you are ineligible because your family income seems too high. The eligibility calculations can be complex and you might be missing a detail that qualifies you. Apply regardless and see what the agency comes up with.

There are three ways to apply for the CCTB:

  1. If you consented to use the Automated Benefits Application Service (ABA) on the birth registration form when your child was born, you should have all the information you need to apply using this service. It is important to verify whether or not you provided this consent—if you apply for benefits using one of the next two methods, and you are already a registered ABA user, your benefits may be delayed. See how to use the ABA here.
  2. You can fill out a form and mail it in. For the form and address, see here.
  3. You can apply online here.

For the CDB (the benefit for families having a disabled child), see more information below.

(CAN) Child Disability Benefit (CDB)

Toll Free: 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Child Disability Benefit (CDB) is a tax-free benefit, paid monthly, of up to $2470 per year ($205.83 per month) for families who care for a child under age 18 with a major disability. This could be a physical or mental impairment that can be classified as “severe and prolonged” (lasting, or expected to last, at least 12 months).


Families who are eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit will receive the CDB only if the child is also eligible for the disability amount, also known as the Disability Tax Credit. Determining eligibility for the disability amount is the first step, and requires a doctor’s certification that the child’s impairment meets certain conditions.

How To Apply

A special form must be completed by both you and a qualified practitioner attesting to the child’s disability. If Canada Revenue Agency approves that form, then the CDP payments will begin.

The special form to complete is called T2201 Disability Tax Credit Certificate, and can be found here.

Send the completed form to your tax centre after you have filed your taxes for the year, to avoid a delay in assessment.

(MB) Children’s Special Services

Toll-Free: 1-866-626-4862 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-626-4862 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Raising one or more children with disabilities can be extraordinarily demanding, in both emotional and financial terms. This program provides services to families who need assistance with some of these demands. The goal is to help families cope so everyone in the home is happier, healthier, and children can grow and thrive.

Each circumstance is unique. A Family Services Worker is assigned to assess the needs of the child and family and work with them to develop a Service Plan. Some examples of Plan components are respite care, therapy, supplies and equipment, home or vehicle modifications, and transportation to medical appointments. The Plan is developed with an eye toward getting the child the services he or she needs to do well at home and in school, while taking some of the burden off the family for figuring out how to manage these services.


Eligible children are under 17 years old living at home in Manitoba. Their disability will present as:

  • Mental
  • Developmental disability or delay
  • Autism
  • Physical disability resulting in significant mobility limitations
  • A high probability of developmental delay due to a pre-existing condition or circumstance.

How To Apply

To apply, contact a Winnipeg service location or Rural and Northern service location.

(CAN) Universal Child Care Benefit

Toll-Free: 1-800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This taxable benefit is paid to parents in monthly instalments of $100 per month per child under the age of six. The benefit is available to any Canadian family with young children, no matter where you live or what your financial situation. You can use the payment for any child care-related expense, whether it be out-of-home care, to help pay for pre-school programs or educational materials, or even apply it toward an education fund (RESP or RDSP).

Payment is made monthly directly to the lower-earning parent. The “taxability” of the benefit has recently been improved so that single-parent families receive tax treatment comparable to two-parent families. Joint custody provisions will soon be added to make it easier for parents to share the amount received.


  • You must be the primary caregiver of a child under 6 years of age on or after July 1, 2006
  • You must be a resident of Canada

How to Apply:

If your family is already receiving/has qualified for the Canada Child Tax Benefit then you will automatically receive the UCCB. There is no need to apply separately.

There are three ways to apply:

  1. Through the Canada Revenue Agency website.
  2. At a Service Canada Centre. Find the centre closest to you.
  3. By phoning 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

(MB) Families First

Toll-Free: 1-888-848-0140 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-848-0140 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Families First is a free program delivered province-wide by Community Public Health. A public health nurse will visit with you to discuss community resources that might be beneficial, and will get you in contact with any that you choose. You might decide to take advantage of home visiting, where a representative will visit with your family on a regular basis for up to three years.

Some of the information the nurse and home visitor can help you explore includes:

  • Health, safety and nutrition
  • Learning through play
  • Exploring solutions to challenging situations
  • Pregnancy and getting health care for your family
  • Connecting to community resources
  • Supporting health, growth, development and learning
  • Child development milestones and how to reach them


Expecting, or parent of an infant or pre-school child.

How To Apply

Contact the Community Public Health office nearest you.

(MB) Healthy Baby – Manitoba Pre-Natal Benefit and Community Support Programs

Toll-Free: 1-888-848-0140 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-848-0140 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This two-part program offers financial assistance for nutrition during pregnancy, and nutritional and health information after the baby is born.

If you are approved for the pre-natal benefit, you can receive up to $81.41 per month. Payments start in the second trimester of your pregnancy and continue until the month of delivery.

Even before the baby is born, you can participate in the Healthy Baby Community Support sessions that help you connect with other parents, families and health professionals.  These sessions offer informal learning about prenatal care, healthy infant development, nutrition and parenting ideas. The network of friends and mentors you develop here will serve you well past your child’s first birthday.


If you’re pregnant and living in Manitoba on less than $32,000 per year, you may qualify for the pre-natal benefit.

How To Apply

To apply, contact a location in Winnipeg or outside the city. You will need to submit a note from your doctor stating that you are indeed pregnant and what your expected delivery date is.

(MB) Manitoba Child Benefit

Toll-Free: 1-800-563-8793 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-563-8793 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This benefit provides tax-free monthly payments to low-income families raising children in Manitoba. A benefit of up to $35 per month per child is offered, based on your family income. In general, if you make less than $15,000 per year, you will receive the maximum benefit. Income thresholds go up to $25,864 for a family with six children. The same calculation is made to determine qualifying income as is used for the Canada Child Tax Benefit.

This program is intended to help families manage the gap between welfare and work, so if you receive Employment Assistance you are not eligible.


  • You must be a resident of Manitoba with children under 18 who are listed on your Health Card.
  • You must be receiving Canada Child Tax Benefits, and your previous year’s income must be below certain levels.
  • If you are only receiving the health benefits portion of Employment and Income Assistance, you are not disqualified; if you are receiving more than that from EIA, then you are not eligible for this program.

How To Apply

You will find all the application materials at the Manitoba Child Benefit website, as well as an address to which you can mail the completed application.

(MB) Manitoba Child Care Program

Toll-Free: 1-888-213-4754 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-213-4754 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This is a subsidy program to help families afford approved, licensed child care.


To see if you qualify for the subsidy, visit the Subsidy Eligibility Estimator


How To Apply

If you find you are eligible for a subsidy, you can apply at Child Care Online. You will need to register as a user first with a username and password.

(MB) Manitoba Shelter Benefit

Toll-Free: 1-877-587-6224 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-877-587-6224 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Manitoba shelter benefit helps with rent payments for low-income families.  Up to $210 per month is available to eligible applicants—the actual amount depends on household income and the percentage of that you’re paying to rent.

A brochure for the program is available here.


You need to have one or more children under 18 and be receiving the Canada Child Tax Benefit to qualify. You may not be receiving Employment and Income Assistance.

In addition:

  • More than 25% of your household income must be spent on rent
  • You must be a Manitoba resident with a recognized citizenship status
  • Certain family size/income restrictions must be met:

2-person family with income under $23,257

3-person family with income under $25,129

4+ person family with income under $26,137

How To Apply

You can print an application from the agency’s website, or, if you live in Winnipeg, pick one up in person. The address is listed on the website.

(CAN) Nobody’s Perfect

General Inquiries: 1-613-952-1220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-613-952-1220 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Nobody’s Perfect is a parenting education and support program for parents of young children. Parents who are young, single, isolated geographically or socially, or who have low income and education levels may not have had access to the kind of parenting information that will help their child thrive. This program, offered as a series of six to eight weekly group sessions, is designed for just such parents.

Materials are free, and trained facilitators (community workers, other parents and public health nurses) help participants work together to discover positive parenting techniques. The program is based on the principles of adult education—building on what these capable adults already know and do, then involving them in the learning process to expand on those capabilities. The network formed by this learning process provides a source of advice and support that can carry well beyond the weekly meetings.


Parents of children age birth to 5 years

How To Apply

Contact a provincial coordinator at this website.


(CAN) Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities

General Inquiries: 613-952-1220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 613-952-1220 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities Program is a community-based children’s program delivered by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). It focuses on early childhood development for First Nation, Inuit and Métis children and their families living off-reserve.

The program is individually developed for each community where it exists, but typically will include the following components in a structured half-day preschool format:

  • Aboriginal culture and language
  • Education and school readiness
  • Health promotion
  • Nutrition
  • Social support
  • Parental involvement

The program is free.


Any family from one of the populations mentioned who lives off-reserve is eligible to apply. There is a similar program in place for on-reserve families, the Aboriginal Head Start On-Reserve.

How To Apply

To see if programs exist in your area, and to inquire about registration and transportation, contact the PHAC regional office nearest you.

(CAN) Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

Toll-Free: 1-800-267-3100 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-267-3100 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

An RESP is a great way to start saving early for your child’s education. For one thing, having an RESP in place makes your child eligible for various grants that can then be deposited into the RESP; for another, income generated from the contributions is not taxable as long as it remains in the RESP. Parents, relatives, and friends of a beneficiary may also contribute, up to a lifetime limit of $50,000 per child.

Funds from the RESP are disbursed for qualified educational purposes: full- or part-time studies in an apprenticeship program, a CEGEP, trade school, college or university. Students will pay taxes on income disbursed from the fund, but not on contribution amounts.

The RESP account remains open for 36 years from inception, so there’s no pressure on you or your child to start or finish school on a tight schedule. If for some reason the funds are not used for your child’s education, the contributions are returned to you as tax-free income.


Both the subscriber and the beneficiary(ies) must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

How To Apply:

You (the subscriber) need to choose a promoter (the entity that will administer the savings plan and disburse funds). Information on RESP application procedures is available from most financial institutions.

  • Important: research your options first. Some promoters may not offer all the programs for which you are eligible. This can mean giving up free money for your child, or embarking on a longish process of changing promoters and transferring your account. Visit this website to see what you need to know before choosing a promoter.

(CAN) Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG)

Toll-Free:1- 800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1- 800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This federal grant makes a payment of 20% on RESP contributions for an eligible beneficiary, up until the age of 17.

For families with low to middle-income, there is also an Additional CESG (A-CESG) over and above the basic CESG described above. This grant will add either 10% or 20%, depending on family income, to the first $500 contributed to the beneficiary’s RESP each calendar year, up until the end of the year in which the child turns 17. Year 2010 income limits are $41,544.00 (for the 20% grant) and $83,088 (for the 10% grant).


All children up to age 17 are eligible for the basic CESG, as long as they are Canadian residents and have an RESP. There are special rules for children age 15-17. These rules and other information can be found at the link above.

How To Apply:

Your RESP provider should automatically ensure that the basic CESG grant is being deposited in your child’s RESP.

One of the considerations when choosing a provider (also known as a promoter) is to ensure they offer the A-CESG if you qualify by income. If you’ve already opened an RESP and your provider does not offer this grant, you will have to transfer the RESP to one who does, in order to apply.

(CAN) Canada Learning Bond (CLB)

Toll-Free:1- 800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1- 800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Another incentive program from the federal government to help make starting an RESP an easy choice for families on a limited budget.

This program will deposit $500 into your child’s RESP regardless of any contributions you do or do not make. Each year thereafter until your child reaches age 15, $100 will be deposited into the RESP. (An extra $25 will be provided to help offset any costs associated with setting up the RESP.) That’s up to $2000 plus interest provided for your child’s education after high school.


To qualify for this bond program:

  • · Your child must have been born after December 31, 2003
  • · You receive the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS) as part of the Canada Child Tax Benefit (also known as “family allowance” or “baby bonus”).

How To Apply

Just open an RESP for your child (a SIN will be required). When selecting an RESP provider/promoter, remember to verify that they offer this bond first. If you anticipate contributing to your child’s RESP at any point in the future, make sure the RESP provider also offers the A-CESG if you believe your income will qualify you for that additional grant amount.

Other Benefits

(CAN) Child Rearing Drop-Out Provision (CRDP)

Toll-Free: 1-800-277-9114 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-277-9114 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

When you retire or become disabled, you become eligible to receive basic benefits from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). In the event of your death, these benefits transfer to your partner and/or children. Naturally, you will want this monthly benefit to be calculated to your advantage wherever possible.

The benefit amount is calculated on how much and how long you paid into the pension plan; however, certain life events cause people to “drop out” of earning at their full potential for some period of time. One of these events is child rearing. The CRDP is a provision to exclude such a period from your earnings calculations, so that your ultimate CPP benefit is not reduced


The CRDP can only be used for months where:

  • Your family received National Child Benefit Supplement (also known as “family allowance” or “baby bonus”) payments or were eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit (even if you did not receive the benefit)


  • Your earnings were lower because you either stopped working, or worked fewer hours to be the primary caregiver of a dependent child under the age of seven


  • That child was born after December 31, 1958

How To Apply

Apply for the CRDP at the same time you apply for any CPP benefit. You should apply at least six months before you would like to start receiving the benefit.

Applications are available online here.

You may also stop at any Service Canada Centre for a kit. Find the Centre nearest you.

(CAN) Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Children’s Benefits

Toll-Free: 1-800-277-9914 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-277-9914 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

CPP Children’s Benefits provide a monthly benefit to the dependent children of disabled or deceased contributors. Your rates will vary based on your parent’s contributions, but averages and maximums can be investigated at this link.


For you to be eligible for Children’s Benefits, your parent must have made sufficient contributions to the CPP. Also, if you are between 18 and 25, you must be attending school full time at a recognized institution. Children under 18 do not have to be in school to be eligible.

How To Apply

You should apply when you first become aware that your parent has applied for a disability benefit, or should your parent die.

Information and links to application forms can be found here.

(CAN) Employment Insurance (EI)

Toll-Free: 1-800-206-7218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-206-7218 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Employment Insurance provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own (for example, due to shortage of work, seasonal or mass lay-offs) and are available for and able to work, but can’t find a job. There’s no way to tell in advance of application what your benefit will be, but the basic rate is 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings. At present, the maximum amount is $468 per week (based on the maximum yearly insurable amount of $44, 200).

Benefits are provided for a period of from 14 to 45 weeks, depending on unemployment rates in your region and the number of insurable work hours you accumulated during the 52 weeks preceding your claim. If you should find work before exhausting your benefit, the remainder can be “reactivated” for you to use again should another layoff occur.

While you are receiving benefits, you must be actively looking for work and keeping a written record of employer contacts.


You may be eligible for this benefit if you:

  • Have paid EI premiums (through paycheck deductions during periods of employment)
  • Lost your employment through no fault of your own
  • Have been without work and pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks
  • Have worked for the required number of insurance hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim (whichever is shorter)

How To Apply

The application for EI regular benefits is completed online (whether you do it from home, from a Service Canada Centre, or from some public internet access point) and could take up to an hour. Review the instructions beforehand to make sure you have all required information and documentation.

(CAN) Employment Insurance Family Supplement

Toll-Free: 1-800-206-7218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-206-7218 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Family Supplement is a feature of Employment Insurance (EI) that provides additional benefits to low-income families with children when a caregiver loses his or her job.

The maximum Family Supplement will reach as high as 80% of your average insurable earnings.

As your income level rises, the Family Supplement gradually decreases, so that when the maximum income of $25,921 is reached no supplement is payable.


If your family receives the Canada Child Tax Benefit, then you are eligible to receive the supplement on qualifying income levels.

How To Apply

No application is necessary—if you are eligible, the Family Supplement will automatically be added to your EI benefit.

One response on “Financial Assistance for Single Mothers in Manitoba

  1. i am only one year here in Canada i just like to know if i am qualified for any of this benefits since i am a single parent and have an ADHD child… thank you and hoping to hear from your good office…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *