Financial Assistance for Single Mothers in Newfoundland

The governments of Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador provide many programs and services to support your efforts to take care of your family, whether your children are newly born, in preschool or daycare, elementary or high school and beyond. Browse through the list below and see how your government can help.

Federal program titles are preceded by (CAN), while provincial program titles are preceded by (NL).

This listing focuses on family-related services. For a full listing of benefits, programs and services, see the websites of Benefits Canada or Service Canada.

(NL) Dental Health Plan

Toll-free:    1-866-449-4459 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-449-4459 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Basic preventive dental care is available to all young children in Newfoundland and Labrador through this program. Older children and adults may also qualify for some preventive and emergency services if they meet income guidelines.

Private insurance will always be billed first. If coverage is not available through private plans, then the provincial government will become payer of last resort.

In all cases, you should verify with your dental provider that the services to be rendered are covered before assuming that they will be.


  • For children under 12 years of age, the Dental Health Plan offers universal coverage for preventive dental services such as examinations, cleanings, fluoride applications, some X-rays, and routine fillings and extractions.
  • For older children (13-17 years), family income under $30,000 may qualify them for annual exams, some X-rays, routine fillings and extractions, and emergency exams if they meet income guidelines.
  • Adults receiving Income Support are eligible for emergency examinations.
  • Services must be received in Newfoundland or Labrador to qualify for coverage.

How To Apply

Children under 12 are automatically covered.

For older children, call    1-888-859-3535 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-859-3535 end_of_the_skype_highlighting for more information. In this case, application is made via the Newfoundland and Labrador Prescription Drug Plan.

For further eligibility information, call    1-888-859-3535 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-859-3535 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

(CAN) Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)

Toll-Free:    1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax‑free, monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. The amount of this benefit is calculated using the information you provide on your income tax returns. The benefit comprises two parts:

  1. The National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS), the federal government’s contribution to the National Child Benefit.
  2. The CCTB may also include the Child Disability Benefit (CDB), a monthly benefit for qualified families caring for children with severe and prolonged mental or physical impairments.


  • Child must be under age 18
  • Child must live with you and you are the child’s caregiver (there are provisions for shared and temporary custodianship)
  • You must be a resident of Canada
  • You (or your partner) must be a Canadian citizen or a recognized legal resident with a period of established residency (more information at the program website).

How To Apply:

You should apply for the CCTB as soon as possible after any of these events:

  • Your child is born
  • A child begins to live with you
  • You become a resident of Canada

Don’t assume you are ineligible because your family income seems too high. The eligibility calculations can be complex and you might be missing a detail that qualifies you. Apply regardless and see what the agency comes up with.

There are three ways to apply for the CCTB:

  1. If you consented to use the Automated Benefits Application Service (ABA) on the birth registration form when your child was born, you should have all the information you need to apply using this service. It is important to verify whether or not you provided this consent—if you apply for benefits using one of the next two methods, and you are already a registered ABA user, your benefits may be delayed. See how to use the ABA here.
  2. You can fill out a form and mail it in. For the form and address, see here.
  3. You can apply online here.

For the CDB (the benefit for families having a disabled child), see more information below.

(CAN) Child Disability Benefit (CDB)

Toll Free:    1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Child Disability Benefit (CDB) is a tax-free benefit, paid monthly, of up to $2470 per year ($205.83 per month) for families who care for a child under age 18 with a major disability. This could be a physical or mental impairment that can be classified as “severe and prolonged” (lasting, or expected to last, at least 12 months).


Families who are eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit will receive the CDB only if the child is also eligible for the disability amount, also known as the Disability Tax Credit. Determining eligibility for the disability amount is the first step, and requires a doctor’s certification that the child’s impairment meets certain conditions.

How To Apply

A special form must be completed by both you and a qualified practitioner attesting to the child’s disability. If Canada Revenue Agency approves that form, then the CDP payments will begin.

The special form to complete is called T2201 Disability Tax Credit Certificate, and can be found here.

Send the completed form to your tax centre after you have filed your taxes for the year, to avoid a delay in assessment.

(NL) Special Child Welfare Allowance

General Inquiries:    1-709-729-4984 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-709-729-4984 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program helps parents care for a disabled child and the attendant extra expenses. The child’s disability can be physical or developmental, and assistance is available for expenses directly related to the care of the child, or for services to enhance the child’s potential for development and improvement.

The goal is to help the family keep the child at home in the family setting, without becoming overwhelmed financially or emotionally by the child’s extraordinary needs.


The child must be younger than 18 years, and the family will submit to a needs analysis to confirm they qualify by income.

How To Apply

Contact your regional health authority for application information.

(CAN) Universal Child Care Benefit

Toll-Free:    1-800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This taxable benefit is paid to parents in monthly instalments of $100 per month per child under the age of six. The benefit is available to any Canadian family with young children, no matter where you live or what your financial situation. You can use the payment for any child care-related expense, whether it be out-of-home care, to help pay for pre-school programs or educational materials, or even apply it toward an education fund (RESP or RDSP).

Payment is made monthly directly to the lower-earning parent. The “taxability” of the benefit has recently been improved so that single-parent families receive tax treatment comparable to two-parent families. Joint custody provisions will soon be added to make it easier for parents to share the amount received.


  • You must be the primary caregiver of a child under 6 years of age on or after July 1, 2006
  • You must be a resident of Canada

How to Apply:

If your family is already receiving/has qualified for the Canada Child Tax Benefit then you will automatically receive the UCCB. There is no need to apply separately.

There are three ways to apply:

  1. Through the Canada Revenue Agency website.
  2. At a Service Canada Centre. Find the centre closest to you.
  3. By phoning    1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

(NL) Newfoundland and Labrador Child Benefit

Phone:    (709) 729-3166 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (709) 729-3166 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This benefit is for low-income families with children under age 18. The benefit amount is based on income and family size, and receiving it does not affect any Income Support entitlements.

Current income threshold is $22,630 for families with 1-3 children, and $22, 629 for families with 4 or more children. Maximum monthly benefits range from $28.08 to $124.25.

This benefit is automatically calculated with your last year’s tax returns (yours and your spouse’s, if applicable), along with the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB). Qualifying for the CCTB is a prerequisite for receiving the provincial Child Benefit.


Your family with children under 18 years of age, receiving the CCTB.

How To Apply

There is no application for this benefit—if you are receiving the CCTB, your provincial benefits will be included in that monthly payment. If you are not yet receiving CCTB, you should apply now.

(CAN) Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

Toll-Free:    1-800-267-3100 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-267-3100 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

An RESP is a great way to start saving early for your child’s education. For one thing, having an RESP in place makes your child eligible for various grants that can then be deposited into the RESP; for another, income generated from the contributions is not taxable as long as it remains in the RESP. Parents, relatives, and friends of a beneficiary may also contribute, up to a lifetime limit of $50,000 per child.

Funds from the RESP are disbursed for qualified educational purposes: full- or part-time studies in an apprenticeship program, a CEGEP, trade school, college or university. Students will pay taxes on income disbursed from the fund, but not on contribution amounts.

The RESP account remains open for 36 years from inception, so there’s no pressure on you or your child to start or finish school on a tight schedule. If for some reason the funds are not used for your child’s education, the contributions are returned to you as tax-free income.


Both the subscriber and the beneficiary(ies) must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

How To Apply:

You (the subscriber) need to choose a promoter (the entity that will administer the savings plan and disburse funds). Information on RESP application procedures is available from most financial institutions.

  • Important: research your options first. Some promoters may not offer all the programs for which you are eligible. This can mean giving up free money for your child, or embarking on a longish process of changing promoters and transferring your account. Visit this website to see what you need to know before choosing a promoter.

(CAN) Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG)

Toll-Free:    1- 800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1- 800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This federal grant makes a payment of 20% on RESP contributions for an eligible beneficiary, up until the age of 17.

For families with low to middle-income, there is also an Additional CESG (A-CESG) over and above the basic CESG described above. This grant will add either 10% or 20%, depending on family income, to the first $500 contributed to the beneficiary’s RESP each calendar year, up until the end of the year in which the child turns 17. Year 2010 income limits are $41,544.00 (for the 20% grant) and $83,088 (for the 10% grant).


All children up to age 17 are eligible for the basic CESG, as long as they are Canadian residents and have an RESP. There are special rules for children age 15-17. These rules and other information can be found at the link above.

How To Apply:

Your RESP provider should automatically ensure that the basic CESG grant is being deposited in your child’s RESP.

One of the considerations when choosing a provider (also known as a promoter) is to ensure they offer the A-CESG if you qualify by income. If you’ve already opened an RESP and your provider does not offer this grant, you will have to transfer the RESP to one who does, in order to apply.

(CAN) Canada Learning Bond (CLB)

Toll-Free:    1- 800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1- 800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Another incentive program from the federal government to help make starting an RESP an easy choice for families on a limited budget.

This program will deposit $500 into your child’s RESP regardless of any contributions you do or do not make. Each year thereafter until your child reaches age 15, $100 will be deposited into the RESP. (An extra $25 will be provided to help offset any costs associated with setting up the RESP.) That’s up to $2000 plus interest provided for your child’s education after high school.


To qualify for this bond program:

  • · Your child must have been born after December 31, 2003
  • · You receive the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS) as part of the Canada Child Tax Benefit (also known as “family allowance” or “baby bonus”).

How To Apply

Just open an RESP for your child (a SIN will be required). When selecting an RESP provider/promoter, remember to verify that they offer this bond first. If you anticipate contributing to your child’s RESP at any point in the future, make sure the RESP provider also offers the A-CESG if you believe your income will qualify you for that additional grant amount.

(CAN) Nobody’s Perfect

General Inquiries:    1-613-952-1220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-613-952-1220 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Nobody’s Perfect is a parenting education and support program for parents of young children. Parents who are young, single, isolated geographically or socially, or who have low income and education levels may not have had access to the kind of parenting information that will help their child thrive. This program, offered as a series of six to eight weekly group sessions, is designed for just such parents.

Materials are free, and trained facilitators (community workers, other parents and public health nurses) help participants work together to discover positive parenting techniques. The program is based on the principles of adult education—building on what these capable adults already know and do, then involving them in the learning process to expand on those capabilities. The network formed by this learning process provides a source of advice and support that can carry well beyond the weekly meetings.


Parents of children age birth to 5 years

How To Apply

Contact a provincial coordinator at this website.

(NL) Family Resource Centres

General Information:    709-729-5554 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 709-729-5554 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Department of Child, Youth and Family Services coordinates a network of Family Resource Centres, community-based programs organized around the needs of participating families. The activities and resources emphasize early childhood development and parenting support.

In a friendly, informal setting, parents and parents-to-be can find classes and programs ranging from drop-in playgroups and parenting workshops to clothing exchanges and community kitchens.


Parents or parents-to-be are welcome to stop in and review the programs offered. There may some eligibility requirements for certain programs, such as the prenatal nutrition support program.

How To Apply

Contact the Family Resource Centre most convenient to you.

(NL) Child Care Services Subsidy Program

General Inquiries:    1-709-729-2093 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-709-729-2093 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This programs helps parents pay for quality care at an approved facility. Depending on family income, some or all of the cost of care may be covered. You get to choose the facility, and the subsidy is paid directly to the care provider.

In addition, if transportation is required to reach the nearest approved facility, you may be eligible for assistance with transportation costs.


To be eligible, you must need child care due to the fact you’re working or attending school, or your child has developmental issues that require a special environment for delivery of services.

Income limits for a full subsidy are $27,500 for a single parent, or $27,840 for a two-parent family. After that, a sliding scale applies to the subsidy amount.

How To Apply

You will contact the Child Care Services office in your region:

  • Eastern Urban:    709-752-4209 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 709-752-4209 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
  • Eastern Rural:    709-466-6355 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 709-466-6355 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
  • Central:    709-651-6241 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 709-651-6241 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
  • Western:    709-637-2763 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 709-637-2763 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
  • Labrador:    709-897-3123 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 709-897-3123 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

(NL) Mother Baby Nutrition Supplement

Low-income pregnant or new mothers may qualify for assistance from this program, which is intended to help pay for the cost of quality, appropriate food to encourage proper prenatal and infant nutrition.

The benefit—paid monthly by either direct deposit or mailed cheque, is $60 per month, with an additional $90 payment in the month of your child’s birth. Therefore, it is to your benefit to apply as soon as you know that you are pregnant.

Pregnant mothers and families with a child under one year of age qualify, if the family’s net income does not exceed $22,630.

How To Apply

If you are pregnant, contact the program coordinator at    1-800-508-4788 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-508-4788 end_of_the_skype_highlighting .

If your baby has already been born, apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit, and the Mother Baby Nutrition Supplement will be bundled together with other assistance to which you are entitled through the Canada Revenue Agency.

(CAN) Child Rearing Drop-Out Provision (CRDP)

Toll-Free:    1-800-277-9114 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-277-9114 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

When you retire or become disabled, you become eligible to receive basic benefits from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). In the event of your death, these benefits transfer to your partner and/or children. Naturally, you will want this monthly benefit to be calculated to your advantage wherever possible.

The benefit amount is calculated on how much and how long you paid into the pension plan; however, certain life events cause people to “drop out” of earning at their full potential for some period of time. One of these events is child rearing. The CRDP is a provision to exclude such a period from your earnings calculations, so that your ultimate CPP benefit is not reduced


The CRDP can only be used for months where:

  • Your family received National Child Benefit Supplement (also known as “family allowance” or “baby bonus”) payments or were eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit (even if you did not receive the benefit)


  • Your earnings were lower because you either stopped working, or worked fewer hours to be the primary caregiver of a dependent child under the age of seven


  • That child was born after December 31, 1958

How To Apply

Apply for the CRDP at the same time you apply for any CPP benefit. You should apply at least six months before you would like to start receiving the benefit.

Applications are available online here.

You may also stop at any Service Canada Centre for a kit. Find the Centre nearest you.

(CAN) Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Children’s Benefits

Toll-Free:    1-800-277-9914 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-277-9914 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

CPP Children’s Benefits provide a monthly benefit to the dependent children of disabled or deceased contributors. Your rates will vary based on your parent’s contributions, but averages and maximums can be investigated at this link.


For you to be eligible for Children’s Benefits, your parent must have made sufficient contributions to the CPP. Also, if you are between 18 and 25, you must be attending school full time at a recognized institution. Children under 18 do not have to be in school to be eligible.

How To Apply

You should apply when you first become aware that your parent has applied for a disability benefit, or should your parent die.

Information and links to application forms can be found here.

(CAN) Employment Insurance (EI)

Toll-Free:    1-800-206-7218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-206-7218 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Employment Insurance provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own (for example, due to shortage of work, seasonal or mass lay-offs) and are available for and able to work, but can’t find a job. There’s no way to tell in advance of application what your benefit will be, but the basic rate is 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings. At present, the maximum amount is $468 per week (based on the maximum yearly insurable amount of $44, 200).

Benefits are provided for a period of from 14 to 45 weeks, depending on unemployment rates in your region and the number of insurable work hours you accumulated during the 52 weeks preceding your claim. If you should find work before exhausting your benefit, the remainder can be “reactivated” for you to use again should another layoff occur.

While you are receiving benefits, you must be actively looking for work and keeping a written record of employer contacts.


You may be eligible for this benefit if you:

  • Have paid EI premiums (through paycheck deductions during periods of employment)
  • Lost your employment through no fault of your own
  • Have been without work and pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks
  • Have worked for the required number of insurance hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim (whichever is shorter)

How To Apply

The application for EI regular benefits is completed online (whether you do it from home, from a Service Canada Centre, or from some public internet access point) and could take up to an hour. Review the instructions beforehand to make sure you have all required information and documentation.

(CAN) Employment Insurance Family Supplement

Toll-Free:    1-800-206-7218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-206-7218 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Family Supplement is a feature of Employment Insurance (EI) that provides additional benefits to low-income families with children when a caregiver loses his or her job.

The maximum Family Supplement will reach as high as 80% of your average insurable earnings.

As your income level rises, the Family Supplement gradually decreases, so that when the maximum income of $25,921 is reached no supplement is payable.


If your family receives the Canada Child Tax Benefit, then you are eligible to receive the supplement on qualifying income levels.

How To Apply

No application is necessary—if you are eligible, the Family Supplement will automatically be added to your EI benefit.

(NL) Support Trusts

Telephone:    1-709-729-2480 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-709-729-2480 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

If you are in the position of planning for the future of a disabled child requiring special support and services, a Support Trust may help bridge the gap you foresee between continuing government services and the supports you provided to the child when he/she lived at home..

The Support Trust assets and income are exempted when determining eligibility for Income Support or Home Support. The maximum exemption limit is $100,000. If your child moves from living independently to living in a group home or personal care home, the exemption is reduced to $25,000. If your child should have to move into a nursing home, the exemption will cease to exist altogether.

It will be important to consult with a lawyer or financial planner when setting up a Support Trust to ensure the best interests of the beneficiary (your child) are represented, and all eventualities are addressed.


Your child must be over the age of 18 and require supportive services.

The trust must be used to offset costs related to services and supports not provided through programs of Human Resources, Labour and Employment (HRLE) or  Health and Community Services (HCS), such as clothing, communication devices, home or vehicle renovations/modifications, etc.

How To Apply

For information on how to apply, call a regional office of HRLE.

(CAN) Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities

General Inquiries:    613-952-1220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 613-952-1220 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities Program is a community-based children’s program delivered by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). It focuses on early childhood development for First Nation, Inuit and Métis children and their families living off-reserve.

The program is individually developed for each community where it exists, but typically will include the following components in a structured half-day preschool format:

  • Aboriginal culture and language
  • Education and school readiness
  • Health promotion
  • Nutrition
  • Social support
  • Parental involvement

The program is free.


Any family from one of the populations mentioned who lives off-reserve is eligible to apply. There is a similar program in place for on-reserve families, the Aboriginal Head Start On-Reserve.

How To Apply

To see if programs exist in your area, and to inquire about registration and transportation, contact the PHAC regional office nearest you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *