Financial Assistance for Single Mothers in Ontario

Your Federal and Provincial governments are working together to provide comprehensive services in a variety of areas to help Ontario families raise healthy, happy and productive children. From benefits programs to coordinated resources to help you find services your child needs to succeed, you’re sure to find a program that’s right for your family. Browse the list below and see how your government can help.

Federal program titles are preceded by (CAN), while provincial program titles are preceded by (ONT).

This listing focuses on family-related services. For a full listing of benefits, programs and services, see the websites of Benefits Canada or Service Canada.

Disabilities and Child Development

(ONT) Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities

Toll-Free: 1-866-821-7770 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-821-7770 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Parents caring for a child with a severe disability often encounter extra costs that strain the family budget. This program can help by granting from $25 to $440 per month for items such as:

  • Travel to doctors and hospitals
  • Special shoes or clothes
  • Respite care
  • Wheelchair repairs or assistive devices
  • Prescription drugs
  • Dental care and eyeglasses

How much you receive depends on family income, the severity of your child’s disability, and the extraordinary costs related to that disability.


A parent or legal guardian whose child is younger than 18, lives at home, and has a disability that interferes with walking, communicating, or taking care of him or herself.

How To Apply

Contact a regional office for an application form, complete and return it to the same office.

(ONT) Autism Intervention Program

Toll Free: 1-866-821-7770 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-821-7770 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This is a program of intensive behavioural intervention tailored for children with autism and their families. The program includes support services to prepare the family for the intensive portion to come, which features:

  • A structured approach, based on Applied Behaviour Analysis, that breaks down barriers isolating your child from the outside world
  • Systematic methods to encourage development and change behaviour
  • Goals individually developed for each child based on a thorough assessment of his/her unique strengths and needs
  • A practical focus geared on developing greater independence

The program offers two options for parents:

  • Direct Service, where children work with trained staff at one of Ontario’s nine regional service providers; or
  • Direct Funding, where parents receive funds and use them to pay for services from a private service provider


Your child must be referred to a regional autism service provider by a doctor, psychologist or psychological associate who confirms a diagnosis of autism or a disorder tending toward the extreme end of the autism spectrum. Your child must also live within the geographic boundaries of the program.

How To Apply

You must receive a referral as described above.

(ONT) Children’s Rehabilitation Services

Toll-Free: 1-866-821-7770 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-821-7770 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Children with physical, developmental or communicative disabilities can receive rehabilitation services at more than 20 children’s treatment centres throughout Ontario. The centres offer a wide range of services, including physiotherapy and occupational and speech/language therapies. Depending on the needs of the local population, many other programs and services may exist at each centre.

A child can be referred by parents, a physician or other professional.


Child up to 19 years old with special needs, such as:

  • Cerebral palsy
  • Brain injury
  • Developmental or learning disorders
  • Down syndrome
  • Spina bifida
  • Autism
  • Chronic medical conditions

How To Apply

Contact the centre nearest you. If you need more information about the program, contact the Ministry of Children and Youth Services.

(ONT) Developmental Disabilities

Toll-Free: 1-866-821-7770 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-821-7770 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program provides services and supports to families with children having developmental disabilities, which are cognitive impairments that interfere with or limit their ability to learn and adapt.

Most services are delivered through community-based agencies and include:

  • Respite care, both in and outside the home
  • Specialized supports to help children live in their communities
  • Residential services

Programs exist for:

  • Behavioural Management: assessment and treatment for children under 18 whose developmental disability leads to behaviour problems.
  • Infant Development: children up to age 5 who have or are at risk for developmental disability or delay.


All children having or at risk of a developmental disability or delay.

How To Apply

Contact a regional office of the Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services for more information and to apply to a program.

(ONT) Cleft Lip and Palate/Craniofacial Dental Program

Treatment of cleft lip and/or palate, or other craniofacial anomaly, can involve surgery, specialized dental work and speech therapy. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care established this program to provide financial assistance to families burdened with these expenses.

The program covers up to 75% of the cost of any pre-approved treatment that is not covered by private dental insurance. Some of these treatments include:

  • Dental orthopaedic
  • Orthodontic treatment
  • Some restorative dentistry
  • Dental prosthetics
  • Dental implants and oral surgery not funded under OHIP

Program participants are entitled to one course of treatment, after which they are discharged from the program. Longer-term follow-up care is not included.


Residents of Ontario with a valid OHIP number are eligible if they are diagnosed with cleft lip and/or palate, a craniofacial anomaly, or other severe dental dysfunction. Applicants must register for the program before their 18th birthday.

How To Apply

Contact one of the designated treatment centres listed at the link above, or have a medical/dental professional refer your child’s case. A screening assessment will take place at that time.

(ONT) Ontario’s Blind-Low Vision Early Intervention Program

Toll-Free: 1-866-821-7770 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-821-7770 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

For children born with blindness or low vision, the province funds specialized family-centred services to make sure they get the best possible start in life.

From birth to Grade 1, graduate-level social workers specializing in visual impairment help the family help the child compensate for this disability and make the most of their other sensory abilities so they enter school ready and able to learn at the highest level.

These consultants help parents learn how to support their child’s development in the following ways:

  • Intentional movement (orientation and mobility)
  • Development of motor skills
  • Daily living skills (e.g., eating, dressing, toileting)
  • Concept development
  • Social and emotional development
  • Language and communication development
  • Making full use of residual vision
  • Using all the senses to promote development

In addition, when your child enters child care or an early learning centre, program staff will ensure the people who interact with him or her understand the best way for the experience to have value for your child.


Children from birth to Grade 1 with vision issues.

How To Apply

Contact Children and Youth Services at the toll-free number above.

(ONT) Special Services at Home

Toll-Free: 1-866-821-7770 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-821-7770 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program helps families pay for special services inside or outside the home, as long as the child is not receiving support from a residential program.

Examples of special services covered under this program are hiring specialists to:

  • Teach the child new skills and abilities
  • Help the child do more daily living activities on their own, such as dressing, feeding or bathing themself.
  • Respite care so the family can take a break from the stresses of caring for a child with developmental or physical disabilities

The amount of money available depends on the type and amount of aid the child needs, what help is available in the community, and what type of support the family already receives.


Ontario children living at home with needs that exceed their family’s ability to pay for them.

How To Apply

Download the application and mail the completed form to the Ministry of Community and Social Services

Child Care

(ONT) Child-Care Bursary Plan

Toll-Free: 1 800 387-5514 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1 800 387-5514 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

If you are in school and have three or more children that require care, you may be eligible for these funds, which do not have to be repaid.

The children must be 11 years old or younger, or 12 and older if they live with you and require care due to disability, illness or injury. Your study period can be as short as 12 weeks or as long as 52 weeks, but the length of the study period has an impact on when you need to apply to receive the funds.

The amount of aid will vary based on the number of children requiring care as well as your living arrangements: single parent, shared custody, married or common-law relationship. Some guidelines on the maximum amounts available per week of study are:

  • $35-$70 for the 3rd child
  • $23-$46 for the 4th child
  • $29-$58 for the 5th child


  • You must have obtained funding through OSAP For  Full-Time Students
  • The program in which you are enrolled must be approved for the Ontario portion of the Canada-Ontario Student Loan
  • Your child care must be provided by an eligible child care provider (not a relative, spouse, partner, etc.)

How To Apply

Download the Child Care Bursary application and the Child Care Bursary Receipt, which your child care provider fills out.

Turn the completed forms—including any other required documentation—into the financial aid office of your educational institution.

(CAN) Universal Child Care Benefit

Toll-Free: 1-800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This taxable benefit is paid to parents in monthly instalments of $100 per month per child under the age of six. The benefit is available to any Canadian family with young children, no matter where you live or what your financial situation. You can use the payment for any child care-related expense, whether it be out-of-home care, to help pay for pre-school programs or educational materials, or even apply it toward an education fund (RESP or RDSP).

Payment is made monthly directly to the lower-earning parent. The “taxability” of the benefit has recently been improved so that single-parent families receive tax treatment comparable to two-parent families. Joint custody provisions will soon be added to make it easier for parents to share the amount received.


  • You must be the primary caregiver of a child under 6 years of age on or after July 1, 2006
  • You must be a resident of Canada

How to Apply:

If your family is already receiving/has qualified for the Canada Child Tax Benefit then you will automatically receive the UCCB. There is no need to apply separately.

There are three ways to apply:

  1. Through the Canada Revenue Agency website.
  2. At a Service Canada Centre. Find the centre closest to you.
  3. By phoning 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Healthy Families

(CAN) Nobody’s Perfect

General Inquiries: 1-613-952-1220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-613-952-1220 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Nobody’s Perfect is a parenting education and support program for parents of young children. Parents who are young, single, isolated geographically or socially, or who have low income and education levels may not have had access to the kind of parenting information that will help their child thrive. This program, offered as a series of six to eight weekly group sessions, is designed for just such parents.

Materials are free, and trained facilitators (community workers, other parents and public health nurses) help participants work together to discover positive parenting techniques. The program is based on the principles of adult education—building on what these capable adults already know and do, then involving them in the learning process to expand on those capabilities. The network formed by this learning process provides a source of advice and support that can carry well beyond the weekly meetings.


Parents of children age birth to 5 years

How To Apply

Contact a provincial coordinator at this website.

(ONT) Family Mediation Services

General Inquiries: 1-416-326-6214 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-416-326-6214 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Ministry of the Attorney General provides Family Mediation Services for situations where the parties wish to come to agreement about family law matters without resorting to a formal court process. This service exists at all 17 Family Court locations.

When the process of family breakdown occurs (divorce, separation and the like), all the associated issues can be resolved with the help of a trained mediator:

  • Custody of children
  • Access to children
  • Support
  • Splitting up of property

The process is not appropriate where partners are not on a relatively equal footing in terms of negotiating. In particular, if one partner is intimidated or afraid of the other, mediation is not a good choice. In any other case, each party should retain a lawyer and keep their counsel apprised of the proceedings. They should also have the lawyer review any mediation agreements before signing.

Participants can exit the mediation process at any time if they are not satisfied with the process.


Any couple embarked on a process where the issues mentioned above arise can take advantage of this program.

How To Apply

Contact the Family Court where your case is filed.

(ONT) Healthy Babies, Healthy Children Program

Toll-Free: 1-866-821-7770 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-821-7770 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program helps children from birth to age 6 get a healthy start in life. This is accomplished by:

  • Screening and assessments for risks that might affect your child’s healthy development
  • Referrals to community programs and services
  • Supports for new parents
  • A centralized information source for finding community programs and resources on all kinds of related subjects like breastfeeding, nutrition/health services, parenting programs and family literacy.


The program is free and voluntary for any pregnant woman or families with children up to age 6.

How To Apply

If you’re pregnant, simply ask your doctor, midwife or nurse. Otherwise, contact your local public health unit, or the nearest Ontario Early Years Centre.

(ONT) Infant Hearing Program

Toll-Free: 1-800-268-1154 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-268-1154 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program seeks to identify all Ontario infants with permanent hearing impairments so that families have the information and support they need to intervene effectively. Undiagnosed or untreated hearing problems can interfere with a child’s school success.

The Universal Newborn Hearing Screening is an important part of this program. If your child is born in hospital, the screening will take place immediately or soon after birth. If you opted for a home birth, the service is still available at your own initiative.

If a hearing impairment is detected in your child, the program offers many services, resources and referrals to help ensure this handicap does not hinder the child’s ability to succeed in school.


All Ontario babies and their families are encouraged to take advantage of the free hearing screening.

How To Apply

Contact the program at the phone number or web link above.

(ONT) Integrated Services for Northern Children

Toll Free: 1-800-268-6119 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-268-6119 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Children living in rural and remote areas across Northern Ontario can access a range of health, mental health and education services through this program.

For children up to age 18, services include:

  • Physiotherapy
  • Occupational therapy
  • Speech and language therapy
  • Psychiatry
  • Psychology
  • Case management

The following additional services are available for children to age 21:

  • Educational assessment programs
  • Remedial learning strategies

Services offered are culturally sensitive, given in the child’s own language and respectful of background and religion.


All children living in Muskoka, Parry Sound, Nipissing, Manitoulin and areas north.

How To Apply

Parents can speak with the local school administrator or local access mechanism/case manager, who will assess the child’s needs and make an appropriate referral. You may also call the number given above.

(CAN) Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities

General Inquiries: 613-952-1220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 613-952-1220 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities Program is a community-based children’s program delivered by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). It focuses on early childhood development for First Nation, Inuit and Métis children and their families living off-reserve.

The program is individually developed for each community where it exists, but typically will include the following components in a structured half-day preschool format:

  • Aboriginal culture and language
  • Education and school readiness
  • Health promotion
  • Nutrition
  • Social support
  • Parental involvement

The program is free.


Any family from one of the populations mentioned who lives off-reserve is eligible to apply. There is a similar program in place for on-reserve families, the Aboriginal Head Start On-Reserve.

How To Apply

To see if programs exist in your area, and to inquire about registration and transportation, contact the PHAC regional office nearest you.

(ONT) Mental Health Services

Toll Free: 1-866-821-7770 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-821-7770 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services includes a Mental Health division for children up to age 18 who are experiencing social, emotional, behavioural or psychiatric problems. The programs, services and supports offered are family-oriented to provide more comprehensive interventions.

Services are provided by a range of professionals in a variety of settings:

  • Dedicated children’s mental health treatment centres
  • Both secure and open custody youth justice facilities
  • Out-patient clinics providing individual and group treatment for problems such as anxiety and depression
  • Residential settings

Services may range from counseling for individuals and families to crisis intervention quick response in the home and community, and everything in between.  Youths experiencing problems may access these services in a variety of ways, both direct (contacting a mental health agency for assistance) and indirect (such as through child welfare or youth justice systems). There are also two youth mental health centres operated directly by the agency, in London and in Thistletown.


Any Ontario child or youth experiencing mental health problems, as well as their affected family members.

How To Apply

Contact a regional office of the Ministry of Children and Youth Services near you. They will help you find your local mental health centre.

Financial Aid for Working Families

(ONT) Ontario Child Care Supplement for Working Families

Toll-Free: 1-877-533-2188 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-877-533-2188 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program gives low- to middle-income Ontario workers tax-free money each month to help with the expense of raising their children.

Your child does not have to be in day care to qualify for this supplement.

Benefits are reduced by the OCB. For example, if you are a single parent eligible for the maximum OCCS benefit of $1,310 for your child who was born prior to July 1, 2009, and you receive $1,100 from OCB for this child, your OCCS entitlement for your child would be $210. (As of July 1, 2009, two-parent families are no longer eligible for this supplement.)

This program is scheduled to be phased out in 2013, since OCB is expected to increase to $1310 per child in that year.


Single-parent residents of Ontario with children under age 7 are eligible for the program if:

  • Have children born before July 1, 2009
  • Receive the CCTB
  • Have a qualifying income or child care expenses
  • Are not receiving fully subsidized day care

How To Apply

You must apply annually to receive this supplement.

The first step is to file your personal income tax return. The Ministry of Revenue will evaluate your eligibility criteria from that and send you an application if you qualify. These are usually sent in April of each year.

If you did not receive an application and believe you should have, contact the Ministry of Revenue toll-free at 1-866-668-8297 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-668-8297 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

(ONT) Ontario Child Benefit

Lower-income Ontario residents with children under 18 are entitled to this benefit, whether they are working or not.

Benefits are bundled together with the CCTB in a single, monthly, tax-free payment. Benefits are variable, depending on family composition and earnings, but an online calculator is available for you to estimate your benefit.


  • Resident of Ontario and caregiver to a child under age 18
  • Child is registered for the CCTB, meaning income tax returns have been filed for both you and your spouse or partner, if applicable
  • Net family income meets guidelines for program

How To Apply

There is no application—your income tax returns will be evaluated for your eligibility and benefit amount, which will be automatically added to your CCTB payment.

(CAN) Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)

Toll-Free: 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax‑free, monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. The amount of this benefit is calculated using the information you provide on your income tax returns. The benefit comprises two parts:

  1. The National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS), the federal government’s contribution to the National Child Benefit.
  2. The CCTB may also include the Child Disability Benefit (CDB), a monthly benefit for qualified families caring for children with severe and prolonged mental or physical impairments.


  • Child must be under age 18
  • Child must live with you and you are the child’s caregiver (there are provisions for shared and temporary custodianship)
  • You must be a resident of Canada
  • You (or your partner) must be a Canadian citizen or a recognized legal resident with a period of established residency (more information at the program website).

How To Apply:

You should apply for the CCTB as soon as possible after any of these events:

  • Your child is born
  • A child begins to live with you
  • You become a resident of Canada

Don’t assume you are ineligible because your family income seems too high. The eligibility calculations can be complex and you might be missing a detail that qualifies you. Apply regardless and see what the agency comes up with.

There are three ways to apply for the CCTB:

  1. If you consented to use the Automated Benefits Application Service (ABA) on the birth registration form when your child was born, you should have all the information you need to apply using this service. It is important to verify whether or not you provided this consent—if you apply for benefits using one of the next two methods, and you are already a registered ABA user, your benefits may be delayed. See how to use the ABA here.
  2. You can fill out a form and mail it in. For the form and address, see here.
  3. You can apply online here.

For the CDB (the benefit for families having a disabled child), see more information below.

(CAN) Child Disability Benefit (CDB)

Toll Free: 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Child Disability Benefit (CDB) is a tax-free benefit, paid monthly, of up to $2470 per year ($205.83 per month) for families who care for a child under age 18 with a major disability. This could be a physical or mental impairment that can be classified as “severe and prolonged” (lasting, or expected to last, at least 12 months).


Families who are eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit will receive the CDB only if the child is also eligible for the disability amount, also known as the Disability Tax Credit. Determining eligibility for the disability amount is the first step, and requires a doctor’s certification that the child’s impairment meets certain conditions.

How To Apply

A special form must be completed by both you and a qualified practitioner attesting to the child’s disability. If Canada Revenue Agency approves that form, then the CDP payments will begin.

The special form to complete is called T2201 Disability Tax Credit Certificate, and can be found here.

Send the completed form to your tax centre after you have filed your taxes for the year, to avoid a delay in assessment.

Education Savings

(CAN) Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

Toll-Free: 1-800-267-3100 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-267-3100 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

An RESP is a great way to start saving early for your child’s education. For one thing, having an RESP in place makes your child eligible for various grants that can then be deposited into the RESP; for another, income generated from the contributions is not taxable as long as it remains in the RESP. Parents, relatives, and friends of a beneficiary may also contribute, up to a lifetime limit of $50,000 per child.

Funds from the RESP are disbursed for qualified educational purposes: full- or part-time studies in an apprenticeship program, a CEGEP, trade school, college or university. Students will pay taxes on income disbursed from the fund, but not on contribution amounts.

The RESP account remains open for 36 years from inception, so there’s no pressure on you or your child to start or finish school on a tight schedule. If for some reason the funds are not used for your child’s education, the contributions are returned to you as tax-free income.


Both the subscriber and the beneficiary(ies) must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

How To Apply:

You (the subscriber) need to choose a promoter (the entity that will administer the savings plan and disburse funds). Information on RESP application procedures is available from most financial institutions.

  • Important: research your options first. Some promoters may not offer all the programs for which you are eligible. This can mean giving up free money for your child, or embarking on a longish process of changing promoters and transferring your account. Visit this website to see what you need to know before choosing a promoter.

(CAN) Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG)

Toll-Free:1- 800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1- 800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This federal grant makes a payment of 20% on RESP contributions for an eligible beneficiary, up until the age of 17.

For families with low to middle-income, there is also an Additional CESG (A-CESG) over and above the basic CESG described above. This grant will add either 10% or 20%, depending on family income, to the first $500 contributed to the beneficiary’s RESP each calendar year, up until the end of the year in which the child turns 17. Year 2010 income limits are $41,544.00 (for the 20% grant) and $83,088 (for the 10% grant).


All children up to age 17 are eligible for the basic CESG, as long as they are Canadian residents and have an RESP. There are special rules for children age 15-17. These rules and other information can be found at the link above.

How To Apply:

Your RESP provider should automatically ensure that the basic CESG grant is being deposited in your child’s RESP.

One of the considerations when choosing a provider (also known as a promoter) is to ensure they offer the A-CESG if you qualify by income. If you’ve already opened an RESP and your provider does not offer this grant, you will have to transfer the RESP to one who does, in order to apply.

(CAN) Canada Learning Bond (CLB)

Toll-Free:1- 800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1- 800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Another incentive program from the federal government to help make starting an RESP an easy choice for families on a limited budget.

This program will deposit $500 into your child’s RESP regardless of any contributions you do or do not make. Each year thereafter until your child reaches age 15, $100 will be deposited into the RESP. (An extra $25 will be provided to help offset any costs associated with setting up the RESP.) That’s up to $2000 plus interest provided for your child’s education after high school.


To qualify for this bond program:

  • · Your child must have been born after December 31, 2003
  • · You receive the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS) as part of the Canada Child Tax Benefit (also known as “family allowance” or “baby bonus”).

How To Apply

Just open an RESP for your child (a SIN will be required). When selecting an RESP provider/promoter, remember to verify that they offer this bond first. If you anticipate contributing to your child’s RESP at any point in the future, make sure the RESP provider also offers the A-CESG if you believe your income will qualify you for that additional grant amount.

Pension and Employment Benefits

(CAN) Child Rearing Drop-Out Provision (CRDP)

Toll-Free: 1-800-277-9114 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-277-9114 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

When you retire or become disabled, you become eligible to receive basic benefits from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). In the event of your death, these benefits transfer to your partner and/or children. Naturally, you will want this monthly benefit to be calculated to your advantage wherever possible.

The benefit amount is calculated on how much and how long you paid into the pension plan; however, certain life events cause people to “drop out” of earning at their full potential for some period of time. One of these events is child rearing. The CRDP is a provision to exclude such a period from your earnings calculations, so that your ultimate CPP benefit is not reduced


The CRDP can only be used for months where:

  • Your family received National Child Benefit Supplement (also known as “family allowance” or “baby bonus”) payments or were eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit (even if you did not receive the benefit)


  • Your earnings were lower because you either stopped working, or worked fewer hours to be the primary caregiver of a dependent child under the age of seven


  • That child was born after December 31, 1958

How To Apply

Apply for the CRDP at the same time you apply for any CPP benefit. You should apply at least six months before you would like to start receiving the benefit.

Applications are available online here.

You may also stop at any Service Canada Centre for a kit. Find the Centre nearest you.

(CAN) Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Children’s Benefits

Toll-Free: 1-800-277-9914 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-277-9914 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

CPP Children’s Benefits provide a monthly benefit to the dependent children of disabled or deceased contributors. Your rates will vary based on your parent’s contributions, but averages and maximums can be investigated at this link.


For you to be eligible for Children’s Benefits, your parent must have made sufficient contributions to the CPP. Also, if you are between 18 and 25, you must be attending school full time at a recognized institution. Children under 18 do not have to be in school to be eligible.

How To Apply

You should apply when you first become aware that your parent has applied for a disability benefit, or should your parent die.

Information and links to application forms can be found here.

(CAN) Employment Insurance (EI)

Toll-Free: 1-800-206-7218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-206-7218 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Employment Insurance provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own (for example, due to shortage of work, seasonal or mass lay-offs) and are available for and able to work, but can’t find a job. There’s no way to tell in advance of application what your benefit will be, but the basic rate is 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings. At present, the maximum amount is $468 per week (based on the maximum yearly insurable amount of $44, 200).

Benefits are provided for a period of from 14 to 45 weeks, depending on unemployment rates in your region and the number of insurable work hours you accumulated during the 52 weeks preceding your claim. If you should find work before exhausting your benefit, the remainder can be “reactivated” for you to use again should another layoff occur.

While you are receiving benefits, you must be actively looking for work and keeping a written record of employer contacts.


You may be eligible for this benefit if you:

  • Have paid EI premiums (through paycheck deductions during periods of employment)
  • Lost your employment through no fault of your own
  • Have been without work and pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks
  • Have worked for the required number of insurance hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim (whichever is shorter)

How To Apply

The application for EI regular benefits is completed online (whether you do it from home, from a Service Canada Centre, or from some public internet access point) and could take up to an hour. Review the instructions beforehand to make sure you have all required information and documentation.

(CAN) Employment Insurance Family Supplement

Toll-Free: 1-800-206-7218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-206-7218 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Family Supplement is a feature of Employment Insurance (EI) that provides additional benefits to low-income families with children when a caregiver loses his or her job.

The maximum Family Supplement will reach as high as 80% of your average insurable earnings.

As your income level rises, the Family Supplement gradually decreases, so that when the maximum income of $25,921 is reached no supplement is payable.


If your family receives the Canada Child Tax Benefit, then you are eligible to receive the supplement on qualifying income levels.

How To Apply

No application is necessary—if you are eligible, the Family Supplement will automatically be added to your EI benefit.

One response on “Financial Assistance for Single Mothers in Ontario

  1. Hi I have question about any financial assistance I can receive by being a single mother & I am not eligible for Ontario works, because my sister sponsored me 2 year ago they said I have to wait 10 years to become eligible only thing I am getting right now is for my 2 year old son child benefit, I have no income & can not survive only on my child benefit, now I am being forced to move out from my sister house & live by my own, I don’t know what to do please give me an advise
    Boi Le, 26 year old single mother

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *