Financial Assistance for Single Mothers in the Yukon Territories

Whatever assistance your family needs, the governments of Yukon Territories and Canada stand ready to provide it. Whether your children are very young, or ready to embark on their University career, their success is important to the future of Canada.

Helping you help them achieve that success is why these programs are in place. Browse the list below and see how the government can help your family and your children succeed.

Federal program titles are preceded by (CAN), while provincial program titles are preceded by (YU).

This listing focuses on family-related services. For a full listing of benefits, programs and services, see the websites of Benefits Canada or Service Canada.

Child Care

(YU) Child Care Subsidy Program

Toll-Free: 1-800-661-0408 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-661-0408 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This subsidy exists for families who need child care but may not be able to afford it. Your need for child care must be a valid one, such as:

  • You work or are looking for work
  • You attend school
  • You are having a medical treatment
  • You are trying to meet a short-term family crisis

Financial assistance is available based on an income test that considers family size, income, and the standards of the community in which you live.

Once accepted, each month you will sign a billing form that the child care facility submits to the program for payment. If the actual cost of care exceeds the amount of assistance you were granted, you will be required to pay the difference.


Families who pass the income test whose children attend licensed child care centres or family day homes.

How To Apply

Download the application form and complete it, submitted all required materials. You can also obtain this form from your child care facility or local social services office.

(CAN) Universal Child Care Benefit

Toll-Free: 1-800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This taxable benefit is paid to parents in monthly instalments of $100 per month per child under the age of six. The benefit is available to any Canadian family with young children, no matter where you live or what your financial situation. You can use the payment for any child care-related expense, whether it be out-of-home care, to help pay for pre-school programs or educational materials, or even apply it toward an education fund (RESP or RDSP).

Payment is made monthly directly to the lower-earning parent. The “taxability” of the benefit has recently been improved so that single-parent families receive tax treatment comparable to two-parent families. Joint custody provisions will soon be added to make it easier for parents to share the amount received.


  • You must be the primary caregiver of a child under 6 years of age on or after July 1, 2006
  • You must be a resident of Canada

How to Apply:

If your family is already receiving/has qualified for the Canada Child Tax Benefit then you will automatically receive the UCCB. There is no need to apply separately.

There are three ways to apply:

  1. Through the Canada Revenue Agency website.
  2. At a Service Canada Centre. Find the centre closest to you.
  3. By phoning 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

(YU) Child Placement Services

Toll-Free: 1-800-661-0408 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-661-0408 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Child Placement Services oversees a variety of distinct but related services and programs all directed toward assistance and support of children taken into care and custody. The main programs and their related services are:

  • Adoption: provides pre- and post-adoption services to children and families. This is the program to contact if you’re thinking of adopting and want to start the process.
  • Foster Care: Families who open their homes to children who temporarily cannot live with their own families receive a payment to help cover the new expenses the child introduces.
  • Child Abuse Treatment Services: confidential counselling services to children who have experienced maltreatment or who have witnessed family violence. Consultation and training is also available to the whole family to avoid further incidents of abuse or violence.
  • Services to Children in Care and Custody: This unit provides a variety of services for children in temporary or permanent care, such as assessment, counselling, planning and placement.


Children in care have generally already been deemed eligible.

How To Apply

There is no application process for these programs, as they exist for children and their families already in a placement situation. Call the toll-free number above for more information.

(CAN) Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities

General Inquiries: 613-952-1220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 613-952-1220 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities Program is a community-based children’s program delivered by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). It focuses on early childhood development for First Nation, Inuit and Métis children and their families living off-reserve.

The program is individually developed for each community where it exists, but typically will include the following components in a structured half-day preschool format:

  • Aboriginal culture and language
  • Education and school readiness
  • Health promotion
  • Nutrition
  • Social support
  • Parental involvement

The program is free.


Any family from one of the populations mentioned who lives off-reserve is eligible to apply. There is a similar program in place for on-reserve families, the Aboriginal Head Start On-Reserve.

How To Apply

To see if programs exist in your area, and to inquire about registration and transportation, contact the PHAC regional office nearest you.

Saving for Education

(CAN) Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

Toll-Free: 1-800-267-3100 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-267-3100 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

An RESP is a great way to start saving early for your child’s education. For one thing, having an RESP in place makes your child eligible for various grants that can then be deposited into the RESP; for another, income generated from the contributions is not taxable as long as it remains in the RESP. Parents, relatives, and friends of a beneficiary may also contribute, up to a lifetime limit of $50,000 per child.

Funds from the RESP are disbursed for qualified educational purposes: full- or part-time studies in an apprenticeship program, a CEGEP, trade school, college or university. Students will pay taxes on income disbursed from the fund, but not on contribution amounts.

The RESP account remains open for 36 years from inception, so there’s no pressure on you or your child to start or finish school on a tight schedule. If for some reason the funds are not used for your child’s education, the contributions are returned to you as tax-free income.


Both the subscriber and the beneficiary(ies) must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

How To Apply:

You (the subscriber) need to choose a promoter (the entity that will administer the savings plan and disburse funds). Information on RESP application procedures is available from most financial institutions.

  • Important: research your options first. Some promoters may not offer all the programs for which you are eligible. This can mean giving up free money for your child, or embarking on a longish process of changing promoters and transferring your account. Visit this website to see what you need to know before choosing a promoter.

(CAN) Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG)

Toll-Free:1- 800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1- 800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This federal grant makes a payment of 20% on RESP contributions for an eligible beneficiary, up until the age of 17.

For families with low to middle-income, there is also an Additional CESG (A-CESG) over and above the basic CESG described above. This grant will add either 10% or 20%, depending on family income, to the first $500 contributed to the beneficiary’s RESP each calendar year, up until the end of the year in which the child turns 17. Year 2010 income limits are $41,544.00 (for the 20% grant) and $83,088 (for the 10% grant).


All children up to age 17 are eligible for the basic CESG, as long as they are Canadian residents and have an RESP. There are special rules for children age 15-17. These rules and other information can be found at the link above.

How To Apply:

Your RESP provider should automatically ensure that the basic CESG grant is being deposited in your child’s RESP.

One of the considerations when choosing a provider (also known as a promoter) is to ensure they offer the A-CESG if you qualify by income. If you’ve already opened an RESP and your provider does not offer this grant, you will have to transfer the RESP to one who does, in order to apply.

(CAN) Canada Learning Bond (CLB)

Toll-Free:1- 800-622-6232 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1- 800-622-6232 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Another incentive program from the federal government to help make starting an RESP an easy choice for families on a limited budget.

This program will deposit $500 into your child’s RESP regardless of any contributions you do or do not make. Each year thereafter until your child reaches age 15, $100 will be deposited into the RESP. (An extra $25 will be provided to help offset any costs associated with setting up the RESP.) That’s up to $2000 plus interest provided for your child’s education after high school.


To qualify for this bond program:

  • · Your child must have been born after December 31, 2003
  • · You receive the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS) as part of the Canada Child Tax Benefit (also known as “family allowance” or “baby bonus”).

How To Apply

Just open an RESP for your child (a SIN will be required). When selecting an RESP provider/promoter, remember to verify that they offer this bond first. If you anticipate contributing to your child’s RESP at any point in the future, make sure the RESP provider also offers the A-CESG if you believe your income will qualify you for that additional grant amount.

Health and Disabilities

(YU) Family Supports for Children With Disabilities

Toll-Free: 1-800-661-0408 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-661-0408 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program provides coordinated access to supports and services for families with a disabled child, to promote early intervention for maximum inclusion in community life.

Some of the funding available may apply to:

  • Respite care
  • Family counseling
  • Sibling care
  • Family coach
  • Inclusion supports

No financial information about your family is required to access services. However, it is expected that other financial resources will be used first, such as private insurance or employee benefit programs.


Families living in Yukon with a child under 18 who has or is at risk of developing a disability are eligible. Children may be referred by parents, or by medical or social professionals. A diagnosis is not necessary—the child may still be undergoing assessments at the time of application.

How To Apply

To make a referral, call the FSCD at 867-393-7464 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 867-393-7464 end_of_the_skype_highlighting in Whitehorse, or at the toll-free number given above outside Whitehorse. A social worker will contact you and arrange an assessment meeting.

(YU) Healthy Families

Toll-Free: 1-800-661-0408 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-661-0408 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Healthy Families is a support service that begins prenatally or at any time before your child reaches school age. It is an on-going one-on-one relationship with a trained social worker who can help make sure you and your child are off to the best possible start.

Your Healthy Families worker will visit with you in your home about once a week to start. The visitor will talk to you about baby’s nutrition, a healthy and safe home environment, and general child development topics. As your child grows, topics will change appropriately, and visits will gradually become less frequent.

The service is free and voluntary.


Any pregnant or new mother who desires more information and/or support for her new baby.

How To Apply

Inquire at your local Health Centre about the Healthy Families program.

(YU) Kids Recreation Fund

General Inquiries: 867-667-3709 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 867-667-3709 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This is a special fund established to help disadvantaged youth participate in organized sport, art, cultural, social and recreational programs their families otherwise may not be able to afford.

The fund pays registration fees, and may also cover materials and supplies necessary to participate. The amount available per child is a maximum of $500 yearly, and funds are paid directly to the organization sponsoring the activity.


Children from 0 to 19 years whose net family income is under $45,000 per year (as established on your income tax return). Families undergoing temporary hardship or other crisis may also apply.

How To Apply

Download an application and send it to:

Kids Recreation Fund

Sport Yukon

4061 4th Ave

Whitehorse, YT Y1A 1H1

(YU) Children’s Drug and Optical Program

Toll-free: 1-800-661-0408 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-661-0408 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program assists low-income families with the cost of prescription drugs and eye care for their children under age 19.

There is a maximum deductible of $250 per child or $500 per family, per year. Once this deductible is satisfied, the program pays remaining eligible expenses. The deductible may be reduced or waived, depending on family income and size.

Once accepted into the program, children are entitled to:

  • Prescription drugs
  • One eye exam every two years
  • Glasses every two years to a maximum of $200
  • Contact lenses where recommended for medical reasons
  • Medical supplies including surgical and burn dressings, scabicide, pediculicide, and anaphylaxis emergency kits.

Each eligible child in the family receives a benefits card, which is presented to the pharmacist or optometrist upon receipt of products or services. If the family has other insurance, that must be used before benefits from this program kick in. The card is effective for one year—families must re-apply each year.


Low-income families with children aged 0 to 18 are eligible for this program.

How To Apply

Call the Program in Whitehorse at 867-667-8494 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 867-667-8494 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, or outside Whitehorse at the toll-free number given above.

(CAN) Nobody’s Perfect

General Inquiries: 1-613-952-1220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-613-952-1220 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Nobody’s Perfect is a parenting education and support program for parents of young children. Parents who are young, single, isolated geographically or socially, or who have low income and education levels may not have had access to the kind of parenting information that will help their child thrive. This program, offered as a series of six to eight weekly group sessions, is designed for just such parents.

Materials are free, and trained facilitators (community workers, other parents and public health nurses) help participants work together to discover positive parenting techniques. The program is based on the principles of adult education—building on what these capable adults already know and do, then involving them in the learning process to expand on those capabilities. The network formed by this learning process provides a source of advice and support that can carry well beyond the weekly meetings.


Parents of children age birth to 5 years

How To Apply

Contact a provincial coordinator at this website.

(YU) Yukon Children’s Dental Health Program

Toll-free: 1-800-661-0408 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-661-0408 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This program provides no-cost dental services to Yukon children from birth to Grade 8 or Grade 12, depending on where the family lives.

Services are comprehensive, covering diagnostic, preventive and restorative care.

The Pre-School Program, for newborns to age five, helps kids enjoy their dentist experience and learn more about how to keep their mouth and teeth healthy. It is recommended that your child’s first visit to a dental therapist or dentist happens before their first birthday.

Dental therapists hold pre-school or home-school clinics each month in Whitehorse at 9010 Quartz Road. You can call the toll-free number given above to book an appointment or see when a clinic will take place in your area.

The School-Based Dental Program provides dental services to both urban and rural communities.


All Yukon children are eligible for these services. In communities with a resident dentist, services are available for children through Grade 8. In communities with no resident dentist, services continue to Grade 12.

How To Apply

A Consent for Examination form must be signed by parents in order for their children to receive treatment.


(CAN) Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)

Toll-Free: 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax‑free, monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. The amount of this benefit is calculated using the information you provide on your income tax returns. The benefit comprises two parts:

  1. The National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS), the federal government’s contribution to the National Child Benefit.
  2. The CCTB may also include the Child Disability Benefit (CDB), a monthly benefit for qualified families caring for children with severe and prolonged mental or physical impairments.


  • Child must be under age 18
  • Child must live with you and you are the child’s caregiver (there are provisions for shared and temporary custodianship)
  • You must be a resident of Canada
  • You (or your partner) must be a Canadian citizen or a recognized legal resident with a period of established residency (more information at the program website).

How To Apply:

You should apply for the CCTB as soon as possible after any of these events:

  • Your child is born
  • A child begins to live with you
  • You become a resident of Canada

Don’t assume you are ineligible because your family income seems too high. The eligibility calculations can be complex and you might be missing a detail that qualifies you. Apply regardless and see what the agency comes up with.

There are three ways to apply for the CCTB:

  1. If you consented to use the Automated Benefits Application Service (ABA) on the birth registration form when your child was born, you should have all the information you need to apply using this service. It is important to verify whether or not you provided this consent—if you apply for benefits using one of the next two methods, and you are already a registered ABA user, your benefits may be delayed. See how to use the ABA here.
  2. You can fill out a form and mail it in. For the form and address, see here.
  3. You can apply online here.

For the CDB (the benefit for families having a disabled child), see more information below.

(CAN) Child Disability Benefit (CDB)

Toll Free: 1-800-387-1193 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-387-1193 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Child Disability Benefit (CDB) is a tax-free benefit, paid monthly, of up to $2470 per year ($205.83 per month) for families who care for a child under age 18 with a major disability. This could be a physical or mental impairment that can be classified as “severe and prolonged” (lasting, or expected to last, at least 12 months).


Families who are eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit will receive the CDB only if the child is also eligible for the disability amount, also known as the Disability Tax Credit. Determining eligibility for the disability amount is the first step, and requires a doctor’s certification that the child’s impairment meets certain conditions.

How To Apply

A special form must be completed by both you and a qualified practitioner attesting to the child’s disability. If Canada Revenue Agency approves that form, then the CDP payments will begin.

The special form to complete is called T2201 Disability Tax Credit Certificate, and can be found here.

Send the completed form to your tax centre after you have filed your taxes for the year, to avoid a delay in assessment.

Employment and Pension

(CAN) Child Rearing Drop-Out Provision (CRDP)

Toll-Free: 1-800-277-9114 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-277-9114 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

When you retire or become disabled, you become eligible to receive basic benefits from the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). In the event of your death, these benefits transfer to your partner and/or children. Naturally, you will want this monthly benefit to be calculated to your advantage wherever possible.

The benefit amount is calculated on how much and how long you paid into the pension plan; however, certain life events cause people to “drop out” of earning at their full potential for some period of time. One of these events is child rearing. The CRDP is a provision to exclude such a period from your earnings calculations, so that your ultimate CPP benefit is not reduced


The CRDP can only be used for months where:

  • Your family received National Child Benefit Supplement (also known as “family allowance” or “baby bonus”) payments or were eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit (even if you did not receive the benefit)


  • Your earnings were lower because you either stopped working, or worked fewer hours to be the primary caregiver of a dependent child under the age of seven


  • That child was born after December 31, 1958

How To Apply

Apply for the CRDP at the same time you apply for any CPP benefit. You should apply at least six months before you would like to start receiving the benefit.

Applications are available online here.

You may also stop at any Service Canada Centre for a kit. Find the Centre nearest you.

(CAN) Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Children’s Benefits

Toll-Free: 1-800-277-9914 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-277-9914 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

CPP Children’s Benefits provide a monthly benefit to the dependent children of disabled or deceased contributors. Your rates will vary based on your parent’s contributions, but averages and maximums can be investigated at this link.


For you to be eligible for Children’s Benefits, your parent must have made sufficient contributions to the CPP. Also, if you are between 18 and 25, you must be attending school full time at a recognized institution. Children under 18 do not have to be in school to be eligible.

How To Apply

You should apply when you first become aware that your parent has applied for a disability benefit, or should your parent die.

Information and links to application forms can be found here.

(CAN) Employment Insurance (EI)

Toll-Free: 1-800-206-7218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-206-7218 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Employment Insurance provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own (for example, due to shortage of work, seasonal or mass lay-offs) and are available for and able to work, but can’t find a job. There’s no way to tell in advance of application what your benefit will be, but the basic rate is 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings. At present, the maximum amount is $468 per week (based on the maximum yearly insurable amount of $44, 200).

Benefits are provided for a period of from 14 to 45 weeks, depending on unemployment rates in your region and the number of insurable work hours you accumulated during the 52 weeks preceding your claim. If you should find work before exhausting your benefit, the remainder can be “reactivated” for you to use again should another layoff occur.

While you are receiving benefits, you must be actively looking for work and keeping a written record of employer contacts.


You may be eligible for this benefit if you:

  • Have paid EI premiums (through paycheck deductions during periods of employment)
  • Lost your employment through no fault of your own
  • Have been without work and pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks
  • Have worked for the required number of insurance hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim (whichever is shorter)

How To Apply

The application for EI regular benefits is completed online (whether you do it from home, from a Service Canada Centre, or from some public internet access point) and could take up to an hour. Review the instructions beforehand to make sure you have all required information and documentation.

(CAN) Employment Insurance Family Supplement

Toll-Free: 1-800-206-7218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-206-7218 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

The Family Supplement is a feature of Employment Insurance (EI) that provides additional benefits to low-income families with children when a caregiver loses his or her job.

The maximum Family Supplement will reach as high as 80% of your average insurable earnings.

As your income level rises, the Family Supplement gradually decreases, so that when the maximum income of $25,921 is reached no supplement is payable.


If your family receives the Canada Child Tax Benefit, then you are eligible to receive the supplement on qualifying income levels.

How To Apply

No application is necessary—if you are eligible, the Family Supplement will automatically be added to your EI benefit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *